July 31, 2011

James Cameron, Terminator 2 [Musings and Review]

"There's no fate but what we make for ourselves."

Just a few thoughts on Terminator 2 as I watched it last night.

Great story about mankind being wiped out by machines. I noticed the point keeps being driven home that it's man that is a force of destruction. Sarah Connor and her son John are repeatedly placing the blame and responsibility for what's happening on human nature.
"The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it, for the first time, with a sense of hope. Because if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too."
A sort of plot hole was brought up to me. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but why doesn't the T1000 become the hunted after John Connor and the gang destroy the possibility for Skynet? Instead the T1000 keeps hunting him. The future has been saved, Judgement Day has been evaded, and still the stupid robot is chasing after John Connor. Doesn't he realise that the best chance for Skynet is to go into hiding and leave his chip somewhere for scientists to develop copies? His mission to kill John Connor is irrelevant without Skynet. Then again, he did seem like a dumb/mute machine, maybe he couldn't think for himself.

Pretty good movie. Personally I like my sci-fi with fewer explosions, but I know I'm the exception to the rule.

Get Terminator 2 on DVD through my Amazon associate's link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment